Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Waiting for Superman

So lately I have had a bad attitude about school and being a teacher. I  have often found myself, after a particularly dumb busywork assignment or a day spent discussing how standardized testing is taking over the education system and there is no hope, thinking about how I don't even want to be a teacher anymore; I just want to get my degree and be done. But then today in my social studies methods class we watched this movie:
It's a documentary about the education system in the United States. And though it was focusing on how infiltrated it is with bad teachers and low success rates, it took a deep look into individual lives. It spent a lot of time talking about kids in impoverished areas such as Washington D.C. and L.A. It showed how the parents literally try everything they can to get the best education available for their students, but are constantly shut down by a system that is working against them. It made me cry. Anyways, it just revived within me the passion I have for being a teacher. I do want to teach. And though I'm probably not going to ever be teaching in any inner-city schools, I can still make a difference. I just want to provide for my students at least one year of having a teacher who gives everything she has for them, and maybe in some small way I can make a difference. Tomorrow I start my month of teaching for this semester and I'll be in a 4th grade classroom. This movie was just what I needed to give me that boost to make sure I give everything I can to applying myself to become a good teacher. I can't wait!

sorry if this was a little too cheesy, just deal with it this once

1 comment:

  1. aww yay! good for you. did you hear about the lady who went to jail for enrolling her girls in a school with a higher success rate than her district? it made me so sad. i heard that is a good movie, i'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete